Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Gracie Diet

So there are a lot of diets out there. The most popular ones in the CrossFit community are the Paleo Diet and the Zone Diet. I started to try out the Paleo Diet for awhile but in this day and age, this particular diet becomes exceedingly difficult to follow. Mainly because, if a caveman didn't eat it, then you're not allowed to eat it. They are really strict on this. For instance, you can't eat canned tuna because cavemen didn't eat canned tuna. You can't eat bread because cavemen didn't eat bread. Needless to say, I fell off that bandwagon fairly quickly.

The next one is the Zone Diet. This one seems like the more popular of the two. I haven't even tried this one. It seems like it would be somewhat feasible, but then you really start looking into it and it gets pretty complicated. Everything is broken down into blocks. Each meal has to have a certain amount of blocks of certain amounts of things. Such as, one meal would include 2 blocks of protein, 2 blocks of carbs, and one block of fat. This is where it gets kind of complicated. You have to take into account how much fat your blocks of protein have in them and add them to  your blocks of fat. I don't have time to figure all of this out, so I don't.

Up until this point, I have just tried to keep my diet as clean as possible. And, as we all know, this is very difficult. Especially when you consider how awesome most un healthy food is. I love the pastas and the pizzas just as much as anybody else. But the unfortunate reality is, these things are really un healthy for you. And in order to reach my goal of winning that gold medal, everything has to be on point, including my diet.

I love CrossFit. Not only because of the workouts and the community, but also because they have everything figured out, almost to a science. CrossFit is constantly evolving. They are constantly studying things that make you stronger. They are constantly adding new things to their workouts that push the community to new limits.

The Gracie Family is the same way with Jiu Jitsu. I have been starting to pay a lot more attention to the Gracies and what they call the
Gracie Way of life. And let me tell you, I am completely fascinated! The Gracies, much like CrossFit, have everything about their way of life dialed in. They even have their own diet plan. I have purchased the Gracie Diet book and it should be here sometime next week. They have videos on Youtube explaining how to do certain things such as the Renergy Sandwich invented by Rener Gracie, and the Ryron Power Smoothie invented by Ryron Gracie. While I'm watching these videos on how to make a sandwich, I find that I am completely transfixed and hanging on every word they say. They teach sandwich and smoothie making the same way they teach Jiu Jitsu. And I am convinced that they are the best teachers I have ever seen. Some of the stuff that I have seen so far seem pretty interesting. Like the Renergy Sandwich is wheat bread, almond butter, avocados, and spinach. This seems like an odd combination, but I'm willing to try new things. The thing that appeals to me the most is that its not only a diet change, but it's a lifestyle change. I'm sure that I will be one of the only CrossFitters who is embracing a new lifestyle in the
. I'm pretty excited about this lifestyle change that I am about to embark upon, and I will definitely keep you updated on the results.

I should also tell you that this will be my first day of training for Grapplers Quest in November. This will be my quest for the gold medal. I know what the holes in my game are and what I need to do to fix them. I will get the gold this time.

Gracie Way


No comments:

Post a Comment